Thursday, May 31, 2007

 

My Laura Ingalls Wilder Tour -- After the Prairie

After DeSmet I continued to drive west toward Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood and the Badlands. I drove to Pierre, South Dakota (The capital, and by the way, do you know how to pronounce it? You say "Peer") to see the Oahe Dam and the manmade resovoir/lake Oahe. You can read more about this rolled earth dam here. Here's the visual:


The sun sets so late in the summer that I didn't wan to stop driving so I decided to press on further west and found a B&B to stay in between Pierre and the Badlands near a town called Philip. I stayed at the Triangle Ranch Bed & Breakfast and loved it! The house was built in the 1920s from a kit out of the Sears and Roebuck catalog! It is a GORGEOUS house -- here is the history of it.

Out front there are the proprietors: Kenny and Lyndy. I was the only guest that night and they were very welcoming and we chatted for a long time. Kenny had just recenlty been on his first plane trip ever. And he was not a young man. Fascinating and wonderful. Breakfast was HUGE and set me on my way to the Badlands. When I got there I took a 10 minute helicopter ride which I highly recommend! (Click for bigger images.)





More to come on Deadwood, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.....


But for now, two random photos. This first was somewhere in South Dakota. There was this GINORMOUS pheasant statue and this was the best shot I got -- click to make it bigger -- Driving While Photographing.


And it was the summer of 1998 and I had been working on Godzilla all year and even went to the GINORMOUS premiere in New York City at Madison Square Garden. So imagine my wide grin as I'm cruising through a seriously small town in SD and see this sign. I had to turn around and go back and take the photo. Click the photo:

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?