Monday, August 20, 2007

 

Googling Your Past--UPDATE

I found Steve and all is right with the world.

After the post I wrote in July, I dug around in my closet and pulled out my high school yearbook. On Steve's page (seniors got a whole page) he had written a long note but also included his old address and phone number. So I googled the phone number and lo and behold, his parents run a B&B out of their house and there was an email address. I emailed them, and asked if this was the same family and if so, could they please forward my email address on to Steve as I would like to reconnect. His mom wrote back saying yes and yes and that they would give the email to him the next day. This was around July 26 or 27.

I didn't hear a thing from him and I was worried that maybe he didn't want to be in touch with anyone from high school. That would have made me sad, but I also would understand. I know I'm in a very small minority of people who loved high school. Was I popular? A cheerleader? No. We didn't have cheerleaders and even if we did, I wouldn't have gone out for it. I just went to an amazing small school and had great experiences there. Full disclosure -- I was Social Committee Chairperson for two years and then Student Body President in my senior year. I was involved.

But back to Steve. As the days turned into weeks, I also thought that he would write but it would just take time. I've had a few unexpected emails float in over the transom from people I hadn't heard from in ages and often it takes a few days to wrap my head around all the memories that come up around that person. I think email is good for that. People can contact you but its not like getting a phone call and being put right on the spot. Hate that.

Saturday was the day. I got an email from him just as we were about to leave for a dinner party. His note was warm and full of love and fond memories as well as a mini update on his life. We wrote a few emails over the weekend and will continue to do so this week, I'm sure. I'm so glad he is well and happy and just as sweet as ever.

Hooray for the series of tubes!

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?