Monday, October 01, 2007

 

What'a a Little Hair Between Sisters?

I'm working on a 4 day job at a company I used to work for, ages ago. There are still a few people here that I know and like from the "old days." I chatted with one who was on vacation last week when I started. I thought she was on vacation, but in fact she was out for three weeks, donating one of her kidneys to her brother. Both of them are doing great.

What a gift!

And she was so blasé about it (that's her style). But it brought tears to my eyes that people can be so wonderful and giving. So thinking about cutting off my hair/shaving my head to support Jen while she does chemo seems really insignificant. It doesn't involve anesthesia, cutting tools, possible infection or recovery time. And unlike a donated kidney, my hair will grow back.

But let's get to the heart of the matter -- literally. Are you an organ donor? You should be. My friend said that if her brother had needed to be on a list it would have taken Y E A R S before he found a donor. No one can tell you what to do, but really, why not donate your organs? You'll be dead, you won't need them. And I'm pretty sure whatever god you believe in wouldn't mind in the slightest if you showed up a few organs lighter. (And if your god does mind, maybe you need to find a new one.)

If you already have that pink sticker on your license, great but have you talked to your family about it? Make it clear to everyone what your wishes are so that in case of emergency, there is no confusion. If you are about to die, you don't want people haggling over your body. Make it easier for everyone you know, make the decision for them ahead of time and tell them what you want.

Sign up here if you haven't already.

Read more about it at National Transplant Society.

90,000 people are on organ donation lists. We are a country of over 300 million people. Someone dies every 13 seconds. How come we can't save those 90,000? Seems crazy.

Comments:
Wouldn't it be great if we could shave our heads and give our hair to Jen??? I'd do it in a second. The color would even match, since I'm currently blonde!
 
My daughter Grace had to go to a funeral a few weeks ago for her friend from High School. They are and were only 19 years old. The friend was on the back of a motorcycle that crashed into a tree. The driver died instantly and they kept Grace's friend alive, I assume until the family arrived to the East Coast from California.
Grace said one of the more moving parts of the funeral was when they read aloud who benefited from her organs. 50 people were recipients.
Love, Jen
 
I'm sorry for the loss. But what a great big silver lining to the tragedy! Good for that family to let their daughter live on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?