Friday, July 06, 2007

 

Work and Gratitude

I'm working this week back at a company I worked for through most of the 90's, departing amicably in December 1999. I've been back as a client over the last seven years so have not been far away from the place. (Plus it is very very close to where I live.) But this is the first time I've been back to sit in an office and work. And it's weird! First of all, I only know about 20 people from "the old days" as there are now over 1000 people working here. (Back then 500 was about as big as it got.) I left originally to get more life out of my life. A full time job at a facility was not for me in the long run and this is a very good thing to know about myself.

I like the freelance lifestyle that allows me to explore more creative pursuits while I do my day job, which is not a creative one at all. I like having days where I can spend time in the garden or go see movies on weekday afternoons with Kurt. (Research!) I like my freedom. And with that freedom I rarely feel the need to "run away" and travel. Sitting at this desk in this building for this week, I found (after only three days) myself wanting to travel and see the world. And this feeling was scary similar to how I used to feel 10 years ago -- Get me out! Get me away! Run Away! Run Away! But once I got home and realized it would only be another day or two, I calmed down.

I'm glad I can get quick and "easy" work when I need it. Believe me, I'm very grateful for that. I also appreciate that I can have a taste of that "old life" and know that I don't ever want to go back full time.

I only had this view every day for 3 1/2 years (Some people have been there for 11) and I have to say, I just don't miss it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?